Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday, September 17, 2011 - New Treatment Schedule

It's been nine days since my last blog.  I had an appointment yesterday with Dr. Marur, my medical oncologist, in which she examined my neck lymph nodules to which my tonsil and nasopharanx cancers had metastasized, and determined that their size had diminished significantly due to my first inductive chemotherapy cycle.  This prompted her to arrange for us to join Dr. Quon, my radiation oncologist, in another examination room equipped with a nasal endoscope.  Dr. Quon shared Dr. Marur's enthusiasm about the degree to which both my primary and secondary tumors had shrunk.  Their consensus was to forgo the second cycle of inductive chemotherapy and to proceed directly to my combined radiation/chemotherapy.  I now have a radiation planning appointment scheduled for Thursday, September 22, which my radiation/chemo therapy should follow two weeks later.  This means that my seven-week therapy should be completed the week before Thanksgiving, a week before it would have ended under the original schedule.  That was very good news.

One reason for avoiding the second cycle of inductive chemotherapy was the adverse effect that cisplatin had on my kidneys, enough to send me to the Johns Hopkins Cancer Center inpatient ward for four days.  My kidney function, judged by creatinine levels, has slowly improved, but not sufficiently for Dr. Marur and Dr. Quon to recommend submitting me to another cycle using cisplatin, or even its more benign related drug, carboplatin.  They also recommend that carboplatin rather than cisplatin be administered weekly in place of cisplatin during my combined radiation/chemotherapy.  The radiation planning appointment will include a CT scan without contrast (because of recovering kidney function) and an MRI to precisely map out the three-dimensional location of remaining tumors in order to focus the radiation for maximum impact on cancerous tissue and minimal impact on healthy tissue.

Damaris and I moved out of the Hackerman-Patz Patient and Family Pavilion on Tuesday, September 13.  The facility is very modern and convenient, located across Orleans Street from the Weinberg Building where the Hopkins Cancer Center is located.  However, the nightly cost was $60, which adds up as the days go on, and anticipating the thousands of dollars of cost for my co-insurance share of my cancer treatment, we didn't feel that my need to be so close to Hopkins justified the expense.  We were very fortunate to be able to move into the home of Mary Rogers, a friend since childhood of my sister-in-law, Burch Tracy Ford in the Bolton Hill neighborhood of Baltimore.  Mrs. Rogers was very gracious to host us at no cost in her traditional Baltimore row house, replete with antique heirlooms, some of which date back to the Revolutionary War.  The location was quite close to Penn Station, where we could catch a frequent shuttle running between Johns Hopkins University's Homewood campus to the north and the JH Medical campus.  Finding out that I wouldn't go through a second inductive chemotherapy cycle and would have only the one radiation planning appointment over the next three weeks, we moved out of Mrs. Rogers' house and back to our close friends the Snyders 60 miles south of Baltimore yesterday afternoon, with the help of our daughter, Raquel.

I feel physically more "normal" every day, and knowing that the end of my therapy is a week closer and a second cycle of chemo is avoided greatly improves my emotional state.  On the down side, but not unexpected, is the loss of my head and body hair.  The hair on my head is "shedding" quite rapidly, particularly noticeable when I shower and shampoo.  I expect to be pretty bald in not many days.  But it will grow back.  Fall has made a first foray into the Central Atlantic region, and hair loss makes me glad that I brought a couple of my favorite caps with us from Costa Rica.  I expect to need them soon, especially if we're able to go visit our son Tim and daughter-in-law Bret in Chicago during the two weeks between my next appointment and the beginning of my next therapy.  It's nice that hair loss is my worst worry right now.  And this is a very special day, Damaris' and my 30th wedding anniversary.  I am blessed by a wonderful wife and three beautiful children, as well as two wonderful daughters-in-law and a very nice "yierno" (Raquel's boyfriend proposed to her a few months ago).  Thank you all for your support and prayers, which have produced a very positive outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Great news Dad! I hope that also means you'll be back here in Costa Rica a week earlier! Pati and I wish we could see you guys! Miss you!

    -Steve and Pati

    ReplyDelete